Internships offer the student an opportunity to see how classroom theory is applied to actual work situations. Through this experience, the student develops an appreciation of the course material, thereby increasing motivation, interest, and knowledge, and in turn promoting student success both in and out of the classroom.
- The student will keep regular attendance, both in school and on the job and will notify the sponsor and coordinator in advance of any unavoidable absence.
- The student will diligently and faithfully perform the tasks and fulfill the responsibilities of their position.
- The student will abide by the rules, regulations, and policies of the sponsoring organization.
- The student will demonstrate honesty, punctuality, courtesy, proper attire, and a cooperative attitude.
- The student will observe any applicable health and safety rules .
- The student will participate in regularly scheduled meetings with the coordinator and will be available for additional training or development as needed.
- The student will complete all required assignments.
- The student will complete a minimum of __________hours at the work site.
- The Sponsor will provide on-site training.
- The Sponsor will provide a complete tour of the site, to ensure that the student is aware of all emergency procedures and is able to act responsibly in the case of an emergency, and will provide a copy of any workplace safety handbooks.
- The Sponsor will provide adequate supervision of the student (including appropriate supervision for minors, if students under the age of 18 are serving as interns).
- The Sponsor will adhere to all federal and state regulations regarding safety and other applicable regulations.
- The Sponsor will contact the coordinator before the student is transferred or discharged from the program; the Sponsor will also notify the coordinator of any infraction of employment policies committed by the student.
- It is the sponsor’s responsibility to: a) determine whether fingerprinting is required; and b) obtain background clearance from the appropriate agency.
- Nondiscrimination: The sponsor shall not unlawfully discriminate, either in the provision of services or employment, against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, or veteran's status. The sponsor shall comply with all applicable laws relating to non-discrimination, affirmative action, and equal employment opportunity.
- Insurance: In the event the students are considered employees or otherwise required to have workers’ compensation insurance maintained for them, it is hereby agreed that such students shall be considered employees of the cooperating sponsor and not IRSC employees, and that cooperating sponsor shall provide any workers’ compensation insurance required to be maintained for the students.
- Except for Workers’ Compensation, all liability policies shall be endorsed as follows:
The certificate holder shall be Indian River State College and at the Description of Operations section, Indian River State College District Board of Trustees is named as an additional insured.
The Sponsor is required to maintain the following insurance coverage with an insurer acceptable to Indian River State College District Board of Trustees:
Coverage Minimum Limit
Workers’ Compensation Statutory Limit
General Liability $1,000,000 each occurrence
Automobile Liability $300,000 each occurrence
General Aggregate $2,000,000
If any insurance policies are written on a “claims made” basis, coverage shall extend for two years past completion of the last student assignment to the Agency and must be evidenced by annual certificates of insurance. The insurance policies shall be endorsed stating that they shall not expire, be cancelled, suspended, voided or materially changed without the insurer endeavoring to provide 30 days written notice by certified mail to the other party.
Questions on insurance coverage should be directed to:
Indian River State College
Office of Risk Management
3209 Virginia Avenue
Fort Pierce, Florida 34981
772.462.7360 / 77.462.4415 (fax)